Saturday, November 10, 2018

Faux-Batik

Here is a project that can be done with kids in the style of African Batik. It is so easy to do!.

Step1. Draw a picture with pencil on any cotton fabric
Step2. Go over the lines they drew with Elmer Blue Gel Blue, let dry.
Step3. Paint over the design with Watered down acrylic paint, let dry.
Step4. Soak fabric in warm water for 15 minutes and then scrub the glue out!
Voila you have a design that mimics authentic batik and is durable. They key to making it beautiful is to use dark saturated colors and to have at least one neutral color ( I used the blue gray for this)

Check out my fine art website- https://anneviggianofineart.wordpress.com/ and send me a message-   I can give you other auction project ideas!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Fun and beautiful.

Katc01 said...

Hi,

I really love this idea and was thinking of doing this with the year 6 students at my school as a leaving memory. I would quilt it. Can you tell me what sort of paint you used?

Well Done Blog said...

Hi there! I used watered down acrylic paint ( any brand) - simply add water until its like a thick watercolor. This was super easy and fun to do with the kids. Let me know if you have any other questions.